The Busy Coder's Guide to Advanced Android Development Version 1.9.2 Released
The Busy Coder’s Guide to Advanced Android Development Version 1.9.2 is now available for subscribers.
This version includes the sample code having been tried on Android 2.3 and 3.0 hardware. The only adjustment required was for the camera examples, as not all devices support arbitrary preview sizes now, and so you need to choose one from the supported preview sizes list.
In addition, this update:
- Includes revised versions of the content provider chapters originally found in The Busy Coder’s Guide to Android Development
- Adds coverage of the enhancements to app widgets made available
in Android 3.0, including a new sample showing a
ListViewin an app widget
- Has another rewritten app widget sample, to remove the dependency on identi.ca
- Incorporates the scripting chapters from Android Beyond Java
- Has a rewritten section on using section headings in lists, from the complete mess that section had been before
- Updates coverage of
WakefulIntentService, now found in the “Advanced Service Patterns” chapter
- Includes various errata fixes
This book should get another update before the end of April, with more Honeycomb coverage, including advanced uses of fragments and the action bar. That version probably will be 1.9.9, leading to a 2.0 and 2nd Edition in print a month later.
Learn second-generation Android app development — with Kotlin and the Android Jetpack — through CommonsWare’s Android app development training!